Tired of eating fruits and vegetables the same way? Do not know how to include them in your meals? Try these simple, but healthy tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and you will be amazed how easy you can start enjoying these in your meals.
- Make a parfait of fruit and yogurt. Mix a handful of granolas with low-fat yogurt and add your favorite fruit (pineapple, papaya or strawberry).
- Top a whole grain toast with peanut or almond butter and sliced bananas or strawberries.
- Add a banana or raspberries to the pancake. Also, you can create a pumpkin pancake adding mashed pumpkin to the mix.
- Add bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms or tomatoes to the scramble or egg white omelets.
- Mix your favorite fresh fruit, ice cubes, and low-fat yogurt in a blender for a rich and refreshing fruit shake.
- Do you like pizza? Prefers that most of the ingredients are vegetables, less cheese, and that the dough is whole.
- Mix beans, carrots, corn, broccoli, or peas in the soup or pasta dish. Try to eat more vegetables than pasta.
- Make one of the day’s meal a vegetable soup and salad. Strengthen the lettuce salad with cherries tomatoes, grated carrots, and sliced pickles.
- Make a healthier sandwich: add lots of spinach or romaine lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and sliced pickles, along with any lean protein.
- Keeps apples, oranges, pears, bananas and small carrots nearby for snacking.
The more you experiment, the easier will be to include fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Go ahead, discover new flavors and textures. It’s that simple you can start receiving benefits for the good of your health.
By: Tania Mangual-Monzón, MS
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/index.html
Mayo Clinic https://diet.mayoclinic.org/diet