The new vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the COVID-19 disease, is already being administered to a large part of the population of Puerto Rico and the world. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC for its acronym in English, receiving the vaccine against COVID-19 offers several benefits such as: prevent the spread of the disease; prevent you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19; protect the people around you (especially those most at risk) and most importantly; it is the safest way to help protect against the virus.
However, this does not mean that protection measures that have been practiced for so long should be forgotten. While it is your turn to receive the vaccine or if you have already received it, we must not lower our guard.
PROTECTION AND PREVENTION MEASURES
- Always use a mask,
- Frequently hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds or more or use “hand sanitizer”,
- Avoid crowded places, and
- Keep 6 feet or more between people.
There are a variety of masks and some are more effective than others. Consider wearing CDC recommended masks such as:
- Non-medical disposable masks.
- Cloth masks – DO NOT pass the light when placed in front of a light source and preferably made of cotton to allow you breathe.
- Masks with internal pocket to add a filter.
- Masks with two or three layers.
- Remember that N-95 masks should be kept for healthcare personnel.
Studies to assess the effect of the COVID-19 vaccine, as well as the severity and spread of the disease, continue to be developed. In the meantime, continue to protect yourself and others by practicing protection and prevention measures daily. Soon we will be able to meet friends and family freely.
By: Tania Mangual-Monzón, MS
Referencie: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention