Learn about your rights as a patient according to Puerto Rico Act 194 of August 25, 2000, as amended, known as the “Carta de Derechos y Responsabilidades del Paciente” (“The Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities”).
The right to:
- Receive high-quality health care.
- Get information about health plans, facilities, and health professionals.
- Choose your primary care physician, preferred health providers, and specialists from the insurer’s provider list.
- Continue receiving health care after the plan’s cancellation or termination.
- Be treated in an emergency room without the need of a referral or authorization from your primary care physician or insurer.
- Participate in the decision-making process regarding your treatment, which includes any necessary information from your physician.
- Be treated with respect, be protected against discrimination, and receive equal treatment from any health care professional.
- Freely communicate with your health care provider, access your medical records, and confidentiality of your medical information.
- File claims or grievances with the Office of the Patient Advocate to resolve any situation regarding your health care.
Para recibir más información te puedes comunicar a los siguientes números de teléfonos:
Outside Metro Area (Toll Free): 787.710.7057
Reference: Oficina del Procurador del Paciente “Conozca sus derechos y responsabilidades como paciente”