Sigue los siguientes consejos para que tú y tu familia se mantengan saludables en todo momento, especialmente durante una emergencia.
- Remove from your refrigerator any perishable foods (meat, cheese, milk, fruits, sauces, eggs, juices, and leftovers) that have been without electricity for over 4 hours.
- Remove foods with any unusual odor, color or texture. When in doubt, it would be best to throw them out.
- Remove any foods in cans or container that are bulging, open or damaged.
- If you don’t have a power generator, empty out and clean the refrigerator. Remember to leave it open to avoid mold and odors.
- Use a cleaner with bleach to disinfect the refrigerator.
- Thawed food with ice crystals can be refrozen or cooked.
- If a full refrigerator is not open during a power outage, the food will be safe for 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full).
Eating during an emergency
- Consume canned food in moderation; their high sodium content can raise your blood pressure.
- Mix meat with vegetables.
- Prefer whole grain breads and crackers. If they are not available, control your portions.
- Drink water; it is important to keep your body functioning properly. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to get hydrated.
- If you don’t have distilled water, boil water for a minute. After it boils, add 8 drops of regular bleach to a gallon of water. Stir and let it rest for 30 minutes before drinking.
Take care of yourself; we want you to be healthy.
Centro para el Control y Prevención de Enfermedades
Departamento de Salud de Puerto Rico